Cooking Round the World
Description of Programs
- Cooking Round the World: Beyond merely cooking, we educate children about countries around the world using cooking as the means to celebrate diversity and embrace difference. Dishes that are prepared are representing authentic cuisines from every corner of the world. Beyond cooking your child will be exposed to a cultural immersion. After this camp, don’t be surprised if your child has a hunger to travel the world!
- Cooking Round the USA: Each day campers will “visit” a different state from a different part of the USA and cook foods that are representative of that state: Aside from cooking and eating, campers will learn trivia about what makes each state unique and what makes a recipe symbolic from that state; they will listen to an urban legend about the state of the day; they will a play trivia game show; and learn cooking techniques through a daily cooking demo.
- Regions of Italy: Each region has its own distinct and special hallmark which includes its food. Every day we will make a pizza, pasta, salad and dessert exemplary of that region. Aside from cooking and eating, campers will learn some Italian language, listen to a folktale from each region, play an Italian trivia game show, and learn cooking techniques through a daily cooking demo.
- Eat Your Colors: Foods come in a rainbow of colors! Each camp day will be devoted to cooking and eating dishes from a specific color group. Aside from cooking and eating, campers will listen to a folktale devoted to the color of the day; they will a play a game involving the color of the day; and learn cooking techniques through a daily cooking demo.
- Street Foods: Street food is ready-to-eat food often sold on the street or off a food truck or cart, and often eaten with your fingers. People enjoy street food because it can be a “bite on the run” with a flavorful or exotic impact. Every country around the world has its own street food and we will be exploring some of these.
- Famous TV Chefs: Cooking and food appreciation has gotten a real boost in the last decade, thanks in part to the Food Network. Chefs have shared their skills and trade secrets to TV audiences. This program will look at the lives and cuisine of 5 famous TV chefs: Bobby Flay, Rachel Ray, Gordon Ramsey, Giada de Laurentiis, Ree Drummond.
- Baking Round the World: From breads to cakes, pies, doughnuts, quiches, frittatas, and much more, your young chef will explore the art of baking from around the world. Children will face new challenges in this precise culinary art form. Savory and sweet recipes included.
- Celebration Foods: Countries around the world celebrate special occasions with foods that are only eaten during the celebration day. For example, in Sweden it is customary to make rice pudding for New Year’s. The tradition is to hide a coin in the pudding and the person who finds it, is promised prosperity.